Thursday, January 22, 2009

Something different

I recently stumbled upon Stephanie's blog, A Little Birdie Told Me So (see sidebar) and I now visit the blog regularly. Stephanie posted an interview that she volunteered to do and invited others to participate. I volunteered. Stephanie sent me the following questions, and here are my answers. They were excellent questions, they really made me think and I have to admit, I've been working on this interview for more than a week! Thanks, Stephanie, for stretching my mind.

If you would like to be interviewed by me, please let me know in the comments section and I'll email you your five questions!

1. I know from reading your blog that your children are still very young. What values would you most like to instill in them? How will you go about doing that?

Christianity/Spirituality. A desire to have a close relationship with our Lord Jesus Christ and to fulfill the Lord's calling for their lives. How to instill this in them? Talking to them about our savior, praying together and always giving thanks and praise . Finding a home church to be a member of is also something I would like to do. I wasn't raised in a religious home, and I feel that being part of a church family would be a positive influence in my children's (as well as mine and Andres') lives. Currently I am researching the Episcopal faith. I must make a resolution to more actively pursue this goal and start attending different services to find what suits us.

Empathy. Which leads to kindness and compassion. These values remind a person not to treat or judge others harshly and never to be cruel. I think the most effective way of teaching them these values is to bestow them with the same. If they are being treated kindly and with compassion, they will hopefully learn to value this behavior. Of course no one is perfect, and I believe it is important to always apologize the moment that you realize you've done something wrong or hurtful. I live by this rule and will teach it to my children as well.

Confidence. The conviction to think for themselves, follow their instincts and stand up for their beliefs. Not blindly follow someone else's perspective. I think the key here is always listen to their ideas and encourage them, allow them to talk about their feelings and to let them know that I believe in them and accept them for who they are. No bullying, teasing or putting them down. I will treat them with respect and dignity.

There are so many more. Education, family & respect for the Earth are high on the list. The best way to instill important values in my children is to be a good example for them to follow. Andrés and I are the biggest role models in their lives, and ultimately we will play the biggest part in shaping their views and attitudes about the world and themselves. I pray that we will always provide an environment in which they can thrive.

2. List 3 things about your husband that make you love him.

Just three? Okay, here goes.
1) He gets me. And he doesn't try to change a thing about me.
2) He is so easy to get along with, so very charming.
3) He lets me sleep in on the weekends. And he never, ever complains.

3. Being a wife and a mother is hard work. What do you do for yourself to refresh your soul and keep your batteries charged?

I love to sleep and need plenty of it. Andrés is so wonderful to allow me an extra hour (or three) of sleep on the weekends while he plays with Noah. A long, hot shower is very relaxing and does wonders for my soul. When I can manage to spend quality time with my girlfriends, it's the absolute best, with the exception of a date with my hubby! I hit the gym a few times a week, which gives me a good hour or two of "me" time. I really appreciate this time to focus on myself, and when it's over I feel energized and ready to refocus on the kids. I think all in all, I've got it pretty darn good!

4. Name one secret desire and explain why it is one of your aspirations.

I have always wanted to learn to speak Korean and visit Seoul to meet my mother's family. I think it would be so nice to get to know them, ask them questions about what my mom was like growing up and learn about our family history. I might learn something about myself in the process, or find out that some idiosyncrasy I have actually came from that side of the family. How cool that would be!

5. What possession of yours is most symbolic of your personality?

My collection of music would probably be the possession that reveals the most about my personality. I listen to almost everything and enjoy so many different types of music, which symbolizes my appreciation for different cultures and perspectives. I am open minded and love to meet people who expose me to new or different ways of thinking. I feel this is a great way to learn and grow.


Here are the instructions for passing the interview along.

1. Leave me a comment saying, "Interview me."
2. I will respond by emailing you five questions. (I get to pick the
questions).
3. You will update your blog with the answers to the questions.
4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview
someone else in the same post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.

3 comments:

  1. awwww, that was an awesome interview margarita!!!!!!!!!!!!

    i have sooo much to learn from you. and i am so grateful you are going through all this motherhood stuff now, so that when i have kids, i can ask you all sorts of questions.

    about andres never complaining: is that only when you sleep in on the weekends? or in general?

    how is that humanly possible?

    you guys are great, and you are such a good mom!

    CC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview! I'm sorry I made you think so hard, but I loved reading your honest answers. I think it is important to know ahead of time the things you want to teach your children. It is good to remember why you love your husband. Taking care of yourself is important, since you won't be able to achieve your goals if you don't. I hope you are able to bring your secret desire to fruition. It is a wonderful aspiration. Music speaks to the soul; I'm sure you gain much from your love of it.

    Thanks again for participating and reading my blog. I posted a link to your interview on my sidebar.

    ReplyDelete